2016 Early Childhood Action Day
June 14, 2016
7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Check in at Room 113 East Wing Capitol Building
(Rally @ 1:00 p.m. in the Capitol Rotunda)
Schedule, FAQs and General Information
Preparing to attend Early Childhood Action Day
- Register online before June 10th
- We will not be making individual legislative appointments, but you are welcome to make your own appointment for June 14. See below in the FAQ for instructions on making appointments.
- Download this flyer (coming soon!), share it with your colleagues and families, and encourage them to attend the events.
- Download, print and review the Participant Packet (coming soon!)
- Look up your state legislators here
- Review the legislative "ask" for the proposed 2016-17 state budget (See Governor Wolf's proposal here)
- Prepare your own story to share with elected officials on how quality early leaning programs positively affect your community
When you arrive in Harrisburg: .
- Report to Room 113 East wing, Capitol Building between 7:30 and 9:30 a.m.
- Check in and pick up your legislator's packet of information
- See below for schedule of activities to help you your day
- No food will be provided this year.
Can't make it to Harrisburg on May 12? You can participate in Action Day from home!
- Click here to learn more about Virtual Action Day.
- Your legislators need to hear from you about the importance of investing in quality early childhood programs.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to connect with your legislator's office in the home district to make your voice heard.
Come to Early Childhood Action Day and tell YOUR STORY about
- The children and the difference that quality early childhood programs make in their lives.
- The teachers, staff and the critical role their skills and expertise play in quality program
- The on-going challenges of your work such as subsidy waiting lists, staff turn over, unmet needs of Keystone STARS, Head Start and Pre-K Counts
- The successes that investing in quality produces (early brain development, school readiness, family economic success, connections to community and saving in future social costs).
|2016 Early Childhood Action Day Schedule|
|7:30 to 9:30 a.m.||Check in and pick up legislator leave-behind material||Room 113 East Wing Capitol Building, Harrisburg|
|9:00 a.m to Noon||Legislative visit coaching||Room 113 East Wing Capitol Building|
|9:00 a.m to Noon||Information sessions on advocacy||Room 113 East Wing Capitol Building|
|9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m||Legislative Visits||Capitol Building |
|11 a.m. to 1:00 p.m||Observe legislative sessions||Capitol Building |
|9:45 to 11 a.m.||Capitol tour||Meet at East Rotunda Information Desk|
|1:00 to 2:30 p.m.||Rally||Capitol Building|
|2:30 p.m.||Departure Begins||Capitol Building|
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Action Day?
Day gathers hundreds of early childhood professionals, parents,
advocates, and supporters of high quality ECE programs at the Capitol in
Harrisburg to deliver the message to our state legislators that high
quality early childhood education programs is a priority issue. Attendants of
Early Childhood Action Day visit with
their state legislators, participate in professional development
sessions, and raise their voice at a rally in the Capitol Rotunda.
I registered for Action Day in Harrisburg -- now what?
Prepare for Action Day by reviewing the Participant Packetincluding the "ask" for the 2016-2017 state budget. Work with your classroom, program or community to create artwork, letters or photos to bring to legislators that demonstrate why quality early childhood education programs are an investment in Pennsylvania's future -- not a cost.
How do I find out who my state senator or state representative is?
You can look up your state legislators here. Enter your address to connect to your state senator and representative.
Will I be able to meet with my state legislators on Action Day?
but only if you make an appointment with your legislator prior to the event. We will not be pre-scheduling appointments with legislators.
How do I make an appointment with my legislator?
Look up your state legislators here. Contact their office, identify yourself as a constituent (you may need to provide your address) and ask to make an appointment for the Harrisburg Office on June 14. Prepare for your meeting prior to Early Childhood Action Day by reviewing "Tips for Meeting with Your Legislator."
If more than one person is attending your visit, assign a team leader and determine beforehand who will speak about each ECE topic that you plan to address and who will be responsible for delivering handouts that you plan to leave behind. It's a good idea to arrive a few minutes early to the
appointment and gather outside the office to get organized.
Are there information sessions about leadership and advocacy at Action Day?
Yes, there will be information sessions available to help you make the most of your advocacy efforts. This sessions will not offer PQAS credits. Topics* include:
- Advocacy Basics
- Early Childhood Education Cost Modeling
- Conversation with A Lobbyist
*Topics are subject to change.
What is the Action Day rally?
The Early Childhood Action Day rally or "Rally in the Rotunda" gathers all the attendants in the Capitol Building
Rotunda, the grand hall at the entrance to the Capitol Building, as we
raise our voice as one for high quality early childhood education! The
2016 Early Childhood Action Day rally is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. in the Capitol Rotunda.
What can I do in between activities and/or legislative visits?
If you have free time during the day between events, both the House and Senate are scheduled to be in session. The House typically begins session at 11 a.m., while the Senate begins at 1 p.m. Consider seeing the House and/or Senate in action by sitting in the visitor galleries located on the 4th floor of the Main Capital Building. Capital security is very strict about enforcing rules om visitors being quiet and not using cell phones, cameras, etc. so small groups work best.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
Some areas might be offering transportation for larger groups and we will provide information to registrants if/when details become available.
Currently, transportation will be provided from PAEYC, DVAEYC and LAAEYC regions.
Harrisburg can also be reached by car, bus or train. Groups attending from the same location are encouraged to carpool. Parking garages are conveniently located in the areas surrounding the capital complex. Information on parking is available at http://harrisburgparking.org.
What are the food and beverage options during Action Day?
Lunch options are plentiful near the Capitol Complex. The Capitol also offers a cafeteria with a variety of low cost meal
options, and visitors may bring brown bagged lunches to eat in the
Capitol as well. The Capitol Information Desk can also direct visitors
to a number of local restaurant options within walking distance.
What can/can't I bring to the event?
bring placards, signs and banners to the afternoon rally in the Capitol
Building to show your support for high quality early education. Cameras
are allowed at the rally.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Please email Tracy Weaver 717-805-6013 or Stephanie Mock at the PennAEYC office, 717-686-1420
Action Day is sponsored by the Pennsylvania Child Care Association, Pennsylvania Association for the Education of Young Children, Delaware Valley Association for the Education of Young Children, Pittsburgh Association for the Education of Young Children and Pennsylvania Head Start Association.