As we progress through this extraordinary time, we are here to serve as a resource for PennAEYC members and the early care and education community. Please know we are trying to share anything coming out of government that could be helpful, recognizing each program or concept may not help everyone.
Pennsylvania has created a website to centralize information that pertains to the majority of residents https://www.pa.gov/guides/responding-to-covid-19/.
NAEYC has released a statement on how essential child care is in these unprecedented times https://www.firstup.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/COVID-19-NAEYC-Statement-3.15.20.pdf and has posted a page with other resources Coping with COVID-19
US Chamber of Commerce COVID19 Small Business Loan Guide The guide is based on the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, which allocated $350 billion to help small businesses keep workers employed amid the pandemic and economic downturn. Known as the Paycheck Protection Program, the initiative provides 100% federally guaranteed loans to small businesses.
OCDEL Announcements and Information
- DHS COVID Licensing Message.3.30.20.FINAL
- Clarification of Closure Notices and Child Care
- Guidance for Child Care Providers Caring for Children of Essential Personnel During COVID-19
- Announcement ELRC-20#5 Revised Child Care Works Payment Modifications Due to Impacts related to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Announcement ELRC 20 #04 Child Care Works Payment Modifications Due to Impacts Related to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) (This replaced Announcement ELRC 20 #03.)
- Announcement ELRC 20 #03 Reporting Early Learning Programs Closings Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Announcement C-20 #02, Operational Recommendations for Early Childhood Providers Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Pre-K Counts (PKC) and Head Start Supplemental Assistance Program (HSSAP) COVID-19-related closure and modified program operations FAQs
- Waivers for CACFP During COVID Closure Final 2-23-20
PennAEYC Email Messages
- April 2, 2020 Update 4/2/2020 COVID-19
- March 27, 2020 Update 3/27/2020 COVID-19
- March 25. 2020 Update 3/25/2020 OCDEL Guidance on COVID-19
- March 22, 2020 Update 3/22/2020 OCDEL Guidance on COVID-19
- March 20, 2020 Update 3/20/2020 OCDEL Guidance on COVID-19
- March 17. 2020 Update 3/17/2020 OCDEL Guidance on COVID-19
- March 15, 2020 Update 3/15/2020 OCDEL Guidance on COVID-19
- March 13, 2020 OCDEL Guidance on COVID-19
Advocating for Early Education Providers
PennAEYC joins our partners in the Start Strong PA campaign in advocating for funding to stabilize the child care system. Read the press release, Pennsylvania’s Child Care System in Urgent Need of Stimulus to Prevent Collapse. Take action by clicking this link.
Here is the link to Pre-K for PA and Start Strong PA COVID-19 Stimulus Recommendations – Updated 3-31-2020 for Governor Wolf and General Assembly.
- Continue to pay child care subsidies and contract payments to Pre-K Counts and Head Start Supplemental Assistance Programs for the duration of the crisis.
- Provide $17 million to compensate for the share of revenues that would otherwise have been collected as child care subsidy copays until child care services are restored to normal.
- Provide $100 million to support the continued financial viability of child care providers that rely in part, or in full, on tuition payments directly from parents.
- Appropriate $50 million to extend Pre-K Counts and Head Start programs through the summer to stem early childhood learning losses for students.
- Passing legislation to impose an immunity from tort liability associated with claims related to COVID-19 to all Commonwealth-certified child care providers that are authorized to continue to operate pursuant to the Governor’s Executive Order/Declaration of Emergency.
- Prohibiting any adjustments to employer unemployment compensation experience ratings associated with any claims paid as a result of child care centers’ compliance with Commonwealth COVID-19 guidance or directives.
- Decreasing the risk of subsequent infection by requiring every child care and other early childhood education program to attend free training on the practices needed to sanitize all spaces in which children and early learning staff are working before programs can be reopened.
We encourage you to continue to consult these resources for updates on COVID-19, information on staying healthy, and updates on the situation in Pennsylvania.
- Pennsylvania Department of Health
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- How to talk to Children about COVID-19
- PA Department of Human Services – Guidance developed by PA DHS will be centrally located on this page and which will be updated as additional information becomes available.
- PA Department of Labor and Industry
- Unemployment Compensation – Apply Online
- PA Department of Community and Economic Development – DCED
- Managing Infectious Diseases in ECE video
We also encourage you to visit www.sharedsourcepa.org
Resources for Providers and Parents
Our partners at NAEYC host a a site for families, NAEYC for Families. Our partners in Southeast PA at First Up: Champions for Early Education has a list of parent resources. Also, our partners in Southwest PA at Trying Together host a parent page.
- Learning from Home with PA Public Television
Stories from Space (stories read by astronauts in space)
- Khan Academy
- Free drawing lessons for children
- Scholastic Learn at Home
- Sesame Street Caring for Each Other
- Stem Starts Now
My Peers (Through ACF)
Dragon Spirit Arts Studio free on-line yoga
- 52 Weeks of Creative Ideas – Parent Handout
- National Geographic Kids